I repeatedly meet people who speak of having had Kundalini awakenings activated by some kind of interaction with a ‘twin flame’. Such activations are often volatile and intense. They can be incapacitating. They can throw a person’s life into chaos on many levels. They are generally unexpected.
Before I go deeper into this, I would like to say here from my personal belief that it can be very difficult to tell the difference between a powerful spiritual connection with someone and a Twin Flame. Please know as you read this article that you can substitute ‘powerful spiritual connection’ with a twin flame because they have similar impacts.
To me, ‘twin flame’ is a concept.
When I hear these impactful stories, I am aware of meeting them both with a space of love and acceptance but also caution based on what I have witnessed.
This is because the concept of ‘twin flame’ can often entangle our unmet needs for love, especially as women who have been spoonfed by society a longing for romance. These entanglements can create intense attachments to twin flames which are actually the opposite of the direction that awakening intends to take us in. The purpose of awakening is to be spacious and more detached – ultimately to the place of being fully detached and fulfilled or free, while in or not in a relationship.
The term twin flame has been around for several decades in our Western culture. The concept has been around for centuries in many different cultures. It is the idea that a soul divides itself into two parts – something a soul can do – to have an experience of distinct incarnations.
In reality, the soul can separate itself many times over and can have a multitude of experiences all at once. When this is overlooked, it places too much emphasis on the concept of the twin.
The primary purpose of twin flame as a concept is to serve each other’s soul purpose and awakening and to act as living reminders to each other of who they are and what they came here to experience and accomplish. So it makes perfect sense in this scenario that a twin flame can serve as activators in Kundalini awakenings.
I tend to rest spaciously with the concept of a twin flame. I always hold space to acknowledge that just because a relational interaction is really intense, that there has been an amazing connection and energy exchange, it does not necessarily mean it is a twin flame interaction. However, it is still an important interaction.
My main concern is the overemphasis on the concept of twin flame in our culture currently. It tends to make me cautious because, for some people, the hunger to be met, completed, or balanced out by the ‘other’ energy distorts what is, in essence, a profound and spiritual event.
As a response to these events, I want to speak to what concerns me about what is happening in our culture, our zeitgeist at the moment.
Here are some of the confusions I see going on around the twin flame concept:
- A tantric exchange of profound energy and spiritual and sexual power is a beautiful, powerful, and expansive experience of being human. This does not mean that the other person is your twin flame. What it means is that you have opened the doorway to the beautiful tantric experience of who we really are. It is wonderful, amazing, and often astonishing. Yay!
- It is really important to question and examine your needs especially if you find yourself in a deep need of ‘the other’ as your twin flame. It is very important to name and own that need because, in an awakening process, you are asked to meet your own needs deeply and transform them. A twin flame experience is not a satiation of a need.It is important to question, “Am I projecting my unmet needs for love onto the concept of TF and the other person?”
- It is important to question, “Is something codependent going on in my desires, connections, and relationship with what I am naming as my twin flame’?” Codependence can get very confused and cloudy around this concept.
- The most important thing to know is that anyone who has beautiful spiritual energy, who holds “shakti” in their system, who has conscious or unconscious Kundalini active, or a powerful, strong loving nature, or has the ability to transmit consciousness may activate Kundalini. This is a natural and human part of the way we share a consciousness as energetic beings. This is the reason spiritual teachers, healers, practitioners, creatives, and artists can activate your Kundalini in both intended and unintended ways. We are designed to transfer energy between each other through our Chakra systems and our hearts. We are designed to awaken each other. The ability to do this with another person does not make someone your twin flame.
These are also some of the difficult things I see happen to people in ‘twin flame’ situations which is why I am giving you the warnings first.
- I see people become obsessed about the twin flame whether they have met them in person or not.
- I see people staying in really unhealthy and destructive relationships — relationships that are sabotaging their lives because they are convinced the other is their twin flame and, thus, they prolong the relationship well past its completion date.
- I see people unable to move on after an interaction with the twin flame, genuine or not, and even more so if it is a genuine twin flame connection – which starts to cause an enormous amount of suffering in their ability to engage in and enjoy their lives.
- I see people struggling with all sorts of attachment, codependent, and sometimes traumatic relationships which are difficult to disengage from because there is a drive and ambition to stay in a relationship they consider their twin flame.
- People get into trouble when they try to concretize this moment of amazing, incredible spiritual activation through and with another person. It can become heartbreaking and painful, an agonizing loss, and can have an extended period of trying to let go of the other person – to the point of significant impact on the person’s ability to live their life.
- Understandably it can be difficult to let go of the twin flame relationship, especially when unaligned. It is important to find the detachment and inner freedom to let go. Awakening is a detachment process. There is also nothing wrong with you or the other person if it does not become a relationship. Most do not.
- In these types of unions, the main reason these interactions do not become long-term successful relationships is because if one person is less spiritually evolved, and has done less work on themselves, there will be such a difference in frequency of consciousness between them that an equal relationship is impossible. The person less awake will not want to be in the relationship. They are genuinely unavailable and/or are not ready. And at the same time, the purpose of the union has been served at a soul level for both.
A true twin flame would have no requirement to stay in a relationship. At our deepest level, we are detached and twin flames are illuminating our deepest freedom.
Now we have covered some important cautions, let’s talk about twin flames and awakening because for sure it happens:
- Yes, a very powerful spiritual connection with someone and/or a twin flame, can activate a Kundalini and spiritual awakening. This is because it is the purpose of such a connection to do so.
- One of the main ways that twin flames or strong spiritual connections activate Kundalini is through the powerful transmission of Consciousness of Shakti or soul energy from one to the other. It can happen over a period of time but typically takes just one transmission. It can take a second, an hour, or days, but it usually takes just one moment.
- When this transmission travels from one partner to the other it enters into the person’s system as a very powerful map and the match-stick flame of consciousness that is purpose-driven to awaken you. One of the most powerful ways to awaken is through Kundalini. So this transmission can activate your Kundalini, either from dormancy if it was not awakened previously, or into further action and sometimes too much action if already ignited in you.
- When this transmission of energy hits a system that is ripe and ready, your Kundalini will awaken, and the task of the twin flame in this respect is complete. The ripeness is important, not every interaction or transmission will activate your Kundalini (thank goodness!). Your twin flame has served the purpose and commitment they made to you as a soul, to remind you of who you are and to awaken you.
This is why these moments are so powerful (and often very beautiful or amazing and heart-opening) because they come from the commitment of two souls to be reminders to one another and to be catalysts for the awakening and for a deeper purpose.
Once the Kundalini awakening has been activated, it begins its own independent Kundalini process in the same way that others go through a Kundalini awakening. You are now on the Kundalini path, with its combination of joys, insights, clarity and the corresponding challenges of purification, often rapid inner transformation, and the processing of personal and multi-lifetimes histories. Kundalini is not always an easy journey, and yet it is a noble, meaningful and worthy one.
The twin flame awakening is often volatile and intense because of the intensity and power of the catalytic transmission from one soul and system to another and because most often the transmission is unexpected and consciously unsought. It can pour into someone’s system and ignite not only Kundalini activation but sometimes cause a sense of the meltdown of “life as we know it” and call the individual to completely reorganize their life. It can even trigger a dark night of the soul. If you had no intention to be catalyzed in this way, then it can take some time to come to terms with the reality that you suddenly find yourself on a new life path—that path to who you really are.
Due to the intensity of the transmission and activation when I work with people, I find it is important to calm the transmission and activation down afterward and to reset and discharge that system because the Kundalini is now active. It no longer needs to be provoked or pushed forward. It needs to resettle. The twin flame is no longer necessary for further progression of Kundalini awakening.
So friends, when I hear from people that they have become attached to what they are calling their twin flame– my shiny red flags go up! I am reminded that this process is not about attachment or even necessarily an ongoing relationship.
This is an activation process.
(Caveat: For some people and processes a relationship aspect will be uniquely present, and can be central and wonderful, but it is not the same for everyone).
Ultimately from a twin flame encounter you have received the biggest and most important gift from another person.
How can these Twin Flame Kundalini activations happen?
Here are some of the ways that I genuinely know such activations have happened through the transmission of consciousness and shakti between two people in the moment of union:
- Meeting the person randomly in life, in any combination of roles, just once, and never seeing them again. This one meeting was all it took for the complete transmission and activation of Kundalini.
- Intense moments of romantic connection when dating someone, very often in the early phases of a relationship.
- Seeing them on television, social media, YouTube, even just once. It only requires one moment for that transmission to occur.
- Inside long-term loving relationships.
- Meeting on the etheric level or in multi-dimensional ways without ever meeting in person.
All of these circumstances are capable of being the conduit of the transmission of consciousness that activates your Kundalini and begins the ascending awakening in your system. And thus begins a whole new adventure.
So dear readers, be open to encountering a twin flame or strong spiritual connection on the path of awakening, and keep your eyes on the bigger purpose which is the unfurling of your awakening which brings with it a deep interrogation of your needs, your personal history, and a call to stand in integrity with yourself at all times.
Blessings to your awakening!